Sample Diversity Related questions
Ask if the candidate has read or seen our mission statement before. If not, take a moment and let the candidate read our mission statement.
- Please describe your experience working and/or interacting with diverse groups of people.
- How have you handled a situation when a colleague was not accepting of others’ Diversity?
- How have you professionally furthered your knowledge about Diversity?
- What steps have you taken at your last employer to create an inclusive environment?
- What Diversity challenges did you face at your last employer? How did you address these challenges and describe the challenges you faced?
- In what ways do you think diversity is important to someone in the role of _____?
- How are diversity [inclusion] issues and [leadership] [teaching or service] [customer service] related?
- How would you describe your current thinking about diversity, and how has your thinking changed over time?
- What are some concerns you have about working with diverse populations or communities?
- To what extent do you believe there are significant differences in how one should work with diverse cultures within the US/US minorities and diverse cultures from other nations? Are different strategies appropriate, and if so, what are they?
- Pose a situation/scenario involving issues of diversity. Ask the applicant how she or he would respond in that situation.
- Why do you think it’s important to address diversity and equity issues in this position, and what are some ways you might do that?
- How would you advocate for diversity education and diversity initiatives with individuals who don’t see its value?
- How would you handle a situation in which someone made a sexist, racist, homophobic, or otherwise prejudiced remark?
- How would you respond to a conversation between [co-workers] [students] [colleagues] that was clearly offensive to others?
- If you were hired, how would you use this position to increase or enhance diversity at UAMS?
- What programs or initiatives have you been part of to [work with diverse populations] [address diversity issues], and specifically what was your role in those efforts?
- UAMS is highly concerned with issues of diversity and equity. How has your past work demonstrated an active commitment to equity?
- What is the most challenging situation dealing with diversity that you have faced and how did you handle it?
- In your experience, what are the challenges faced by members of historically underrepresented groups [in the workplace] [in successfully completing their education]? What strategies have you used to address these challenges, and how successful were those strategies?
- Can you tell me of a time when you changed a process or procedure to make your department or organization more inclusive?
- What do see as the most challenging aspect of a diverse academic environment? What steps have you taken to meet this challenge?
- Tell me about a time when you worked with a (student/patient/co-worker) with a different background/culture than yours. What did you do to ensure that you were inclusive of their identity during your interaction?
- What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity and Inclusive Excellence and
- How would you develop and/or apply your commitment to our university?
- Explain your understanding of diversity and Inclusive Excellence.
Loyola – Chicago: https://www.luc.edu/hr/samplemissiondiversityinterviewquestions/
Northern Illinois University: https://www.niu.edu/diversity/_files/equal-opportunity/sample-interview-questions-diversity-and-equity.pdf
University of Denver – https://www.du.edu/diversity-inclusion/media/documents/sampleinterviewquestions2.pdf
Guide for recruiting a diverse faculty– https://www.csusb.edu/sites/default/files/upload/file/Guide_Best%20Practices%20for%20Recruiting%20a%20Diverse%20Faculty_0.pdf